Thursday, September 22, 2011

my words for Leo


Below is what I shared at Leo's service:

I know this might come as a surprise to most of you, but I actually avoided visiting and speaking to Leo on concert weekends.  I remember the first time I met “Concert Leo” I was very surprised with what I discovered.   I was pretty young at the time when mom finally allowed me to meet “concert Leo” and I saw a man who was a tad scattered, very intense, rushed, and maybe a little crazy.

However, today, I can say that now I know that “concert Leo” was just a result of his passion, his drive for perfection, and yes, I would still say a little craziness. 

While, I’m almost certain that some if not many of you know what I’m talking about when I call him “concert Leo”, I want to take the time to introduce you to the Leo that I grew to know, adore and love.   The Leo that I know is a man who opened my eyes and life to an entire world.  Not necessarily to the world of music, but to the world of love, life, art, good food and wine, pepper grinders, coffee, cats, passion and the ultimate gift of living life to the fullest. 

Instead of trying to explain, I am going to read parts of a letter I recently wrote to Leo that will hopefully paint the picture of my  Leo. 

Dear Leo,

You were a tremendous influence in my life, Thank you.   It’s so hard and painful to think of a future without you physically here, but I know that you are always in my heart.   I firmly believe that who I am today is a direct result of you. 

I learned a sense of adventure from you.  Remember all those crazy trips you took Andrew and I on?  You drove us up Highway 41, took us to Niagara Falls, I think I’ve been to every Great Lake with you, St. Simons, Las Vegas, California.  You even took me to Paris for my 18th birthday.  Leo, I know that the fact that I only ordered chicken and potatoes drove you crazy every meal…I promise that next time I’m in Paris – I won’t even order chicken and potatoes. 

I learned to love good food and wine from you.  You were such an amazing cook.  I loved nothing more than sitting in the kitchen with you and watch you prepare a meal.  A simple meal of pesto and pasta tasted as if I went to the best restaurant in town. I love telling the story of when the four of us would sit down together for dinner  – you and I made sure we always sat by each other since mom and Andrew didn’t like pepper.  I love how you would plop the pepper grinder between us like we won a trophy.   That pepper grinder is now in my kitchen and I promise to take care of it, always use good quality pepper and more importantly to share it with those I love.

Leo, thank you for showing me what a healthy adult relationship looks like.  Thank you so much for loving my mom so deeply. It’s only fitting that your last public statement in the world of FaceBook be “ Happy Anniversary to my wonderful wife, Regina!”  Thank you for giving me a standard to hold on to should I get married.  If I end up with a man half of what you were – I will consider myself the luckiest girl in the world. 


Thank you for challenging my thinking at such a young age.   I learned to think for myself and create my own opinions. I long to be as knowledgeable as you are.  You were a source of knowledge for me.  I miss our frequent discussions about politics and especially our Jon Stewart recaps.  It was one of my favorite things to do with you.  I remember when I was in Michigan for Thanksgiving a few years ago while I was working on the campaign – you were asking me question after question.  I still hear you saying “I’m so proud of you.  I think what you are doing is one of the coolest things.”  

Leo, mostly, thank you for showing me what living life in the moment and to the fullest is all about.  You loved living.  You lived with such passion and joy.   

Thank you for allowing me to share my Leo with you.   I know that Leo was someone different to everyone in this room.    My hope is that we each take whatever influence Leo was to us  - whoever you consider to be “your Leo”– and continue to implement that into our lives.  Whether it is music, art, humor, knowledge, cooking, sailing,…  I know that Leo would love that he left us with that. 

Before I share something from my mom, the simple phrase – thank you – doesn’t fully express how grateful I am for the support that has been shown to my mom. 

 My mom wants me to remind you to hug each other and say, “I Love You” as often as you can. She also wanted me to share some lines from an Irish song that Leo sometimes sang to her. 

       Whether I wander east or west,

       Waking or dreaming,

       You are near me,

       Joy of my heart.

No comments: